Irian Jaya is the eastern province of Indonesia and together with Papua New Guinea the second largest island in the world. It is a land of beauty, with beaches, huge high-moor landscapes and dark jungles with bizarre mountains up to the snowy peaks of the highest mountains of Oceania. In the heart of the jungle lies the Carstensz Pyramid, 4.884 m.
The Carstensz is the highest elevation between the Himalayas and the Andes. It is considered to be the most technically difficult peak of the "Seven Summits. Not only because of the mountaineering skills, the trek to base camp requires a good portion of stamina on its adventurous route through untouched forests and high moors. Finally, on the summit, the view of two different oceans is a fantastic reward for all hardships. We can honestly claim that this trip is one of the highlights of our program.
Stefan Fritsche (UIAGM Mountain Guide), an experienced AMICAL alpin expedition leader, will head this adventurous journey.
Stefan worked from 2008 till 2010 in Papua Neginea as a teacher in Bougainvillles.
CHALLENGING 5.000 M EXPEDITION
You are a climber with a good endurance and a high degree of commitment and team spirit. You can cope with trekking days of 7-9 h, on summit day 12 h (ascent and descent) or more. Even on the trekking there can be large differences in temperature in humid climate (+ 30 ° to -7 ° C). Pathless ways and difficult sections, streams, tropical rain on every day of the approach are normal. You have to carry your personal belongings including sleeping bag, mattress and clothes on the approach to basecamp and return trek to Illaga by yourself (approx. 12 kg!). Only climbing gear and fresh clothes will be delivered and returned through the Gold Mine into the Basecamp.
You are a capable, self-reliant climber that can overcome passages up to grade IV (UIAA) with mountain boots. You are familiar with all common knots and belaying technique required for rock climbing as well as some basic rescue/self-rescue maneuvers.
You are an experienced, self-reliant climber with a good routine in moderate rock. You have collected some experience on multipitch-routes in the Alps, the Rockies, or elsewhere, leading at least some of the easier pitches.
A warm synthetic fiber sleeping bag up to -10 ° C (comfort zone), as well as GoreTex clothing and boots suitable for climbing are the essential ingredients of your personal equipment. For the trekking we recommend rubber boots. For more details and suggestions please consult our equipment check list. If you have any questions regarding your gear, please feel free to call us any time. Experienced specialists who have guided this mountain many times will help you with all of your questions and needs.
01. Day: Departure - from home, with a stopover at the air carrier’s turnstile.
02. Day: Arrival in Denpasar/Bali - Transfer to Hotel Ida. Handling of important formalities for the travel permit. Rest of the day free time. Hotel (B,-,-)
03. Day: Preparations - Free day in Bali for acclimatization. In the meantime, our staff in Jakarta arranges the last formalities for the travel permit to Carstensz Pyramid (for this, the stamped Indonesian arrival visa is necessary). Hotel Ida (B,-,-)
04. Day: Flight to Timika - Around midnight, pick up at the hotel and transfer to airport for Garuda flight, departure around 02.00 a.m. to Timika/Papua. Arrival around 06.00 a.m. local time. Last preparations for the expedition. In the afternoon, weighing of the complete team including luggage, in case the charter flight starts very early next morning. Hotel (B,L,D)
05. Day: Illaga - In the morning, transfer to the airport. Charter flight to Illaga (around 40 minutes flight time). Today, the whole group including luggage and food should be flown out. Tent camp in the village Pinapa, in the Illaga Valley. Porter recruitment and visits to the local government authorities. Tent (B,L,D)
06. Day: First Trekking Day - Towards Basecamp. Today we start as early as possible. Long and exhausting route though the jungle. Tent camp after we have climbed the mountain crest behind Illaga. Tent (B,L,D)
07. Day: 2nd Trekking Day – A hike through open areas with gentle ascents and descents. Tent camp in a beautiful river valley with fern trees. Tent (B,L,D)
08. Day: 3rd Trekking Day - Today’s route leads us over a huge plateau and later in the afternoon into a primeval forest. Tent camp with a view on the pyramid region. Tent (B,L,D)
09. Day: 4th Trekking Day - We cross wonderful highland landscapes with several lakes and numerous rivers. At high watermark, the crossing of these waters may cause problems. Tent camp at the end of the Larson Drainage (close to Latolampege Cave). Tent (B,L,D)
10. Day: 5th Trekking Day - Today we have to cross the New Zealand Pass, and it is important to take the shortest way to the basecamp! When the weather is ok and the paths are in a good condition, we will reach the so called “Yellow Valley” around noontime. Here, we set up our camp close to a lake. This will be our basecamp and starting point for all our coming excursions. Tent (B,L,D)
11. Day: Base Camp - Full day at the basecamp. Today we hike to the foot of the north face of Carstensz Pyramid and explore and prepare our starting point for the climb. Tent (B,L,D)
12. Day: Summit Day - Today we will climb the Pyramid if the weather is favorable. Tent (B,L,D)
13. Day: Reserve Day - If necessary, second attempt to climb the Pyramid. If we have time, we can climb Ngga Pulu as a second peak. Tent (B,L,D)
14.-18. Day Return - We will take the familiar way back to Illaga, all in all five days. Tent (B,L,D)
19. Day: Timika - Charter flight back to Timika. Transfer to Hotel Komoro. Hotel (B,L,D)
20. Day: Bali - In the morning transfer to the airport and flight back to Denpasar/Bali. Transfer to Hotel Ida. Hotel (B,-,-)
21. Day: Departure - Transfer to the airport and flight back home, with a stopover at the air carrier’s turnstile. (B,-,-)
22. Day: Arrival at home - at home, depending on your flight conections.
UIAGM experienced Mountain Guide
SUN 19.09.2021 till SUN 10.10.2021
Date will follow
from 8 participants
9.795,00 Euro per person
Single Supplement 550,00 Euro per person
Here you can read our TRAVEL TERMS
87538 Fischen im Allgäu
0049 (0) 8326 38 49 648
0049 (0) 8326 38 52 383
Öffnungszeiten Mo - Do
08.00-12.00 Uhr 13.00-17.00 Uhr
08.00-12.00 Uhr 13.00-15.00 Uhr
TRANSLATE THIS SITE
0049 (0) 8326 38 52 383